Saturday, March 22, 2008
Ad testing(a/b testing) lets you experiment with multiple ads at the same time to find out which ones work best. When using popular pay per click providers like Google, better-performing ads will display more often.
How Do You Benefit?
- Improve ad group performance because better performing ads, based on click-through rate, will serve more often (if Ad Optimization is turned on, which is the default setting)
- Save time by automatically displaying the best performing ads
- Save money because ads with higher click-through rates may score higher in the quality index, and this may lead to higher placement at a lower cost
- Find out which messages, promotions, and geographical locations test better, and apply this learning to other marketing tactics
- Test different versions of your landing page URLs.
How to Create New Ads
To create a new ad in Google Adwords:
- Go to your intended ad group page or create a new ad group
- Click on the +Create New Ad button
- Enter a title, description, destination URL and display URL
- Review and approve ad
Tips for Using Ad Testing
- Develop a strategy. Have a goal in mind. For example, test an offer of 20 percent savings against an offer of $40 off any purchase over $200 to see which positioning your customers find more appealing.
- Plan out your ad testing schedule. This helps organizes your ad testing objectives and gives your ads enough time to display so that results are statistically significant.
- Create ads with unique messages. Don't test messages that are too similar - say, an ad that offers "great prices" against one that promises "low prices."
- Choose keywords for each ad group carefully. Grouping similar and relevant keywords will make it easier to create ads, and may improve your ad's quality and placement.
Use these tips and strategies for improving the effectiveness of your ads. Improving ad performance takes daily monitoring and persistence. If you're not checking your campaigns daily, you could be losing money.