Subscribe via: ( Email / RSS )

Sunday, October 10, 2010




A buddy of mine saw a great list of "Top Marketing Blogs" and said, "Michael, why aren't you on the list?" In addition to being the top ranked marketing blog via Google, I hope that most of you (blog readers) find value in each and every post I've created over the last 4 years here on The Marketing Blog. All that being said I would think that I belong on a list of top marketing blogs.

Okay, maybe its ego talking, but good marketing advice is just that. Attacking different areas of marketing, internet marketing, ppc, SEO, direct marketing, etc. each week has to account for something! Just for fun, I applied to this so called list of top marketing blogs. After about a week I got their reply...

"Thank you for your submission but unfortunately you only scored 49 out of 50 points, not enough to acquire a listing as a top marketing blog. If you would still like to be included in our list of 'top marketing blogs' you can submit a request along with a $99 processing fee..." You gotta be friggin' kidding me! I instantly realized this as another online scam that I want nothing to do with. "Include with a processing fee" - come on. Keep you list of top marketing blogs!

It never ceases to amaze me that these types of marketing scams still exist. Sites feel they can charge whatever they want for others to list their websites, blogs, etc. while providing little if any value. To me it's all a little disheartening. Oh well, I guess as long as the Internet continues to be a source of information, you have to accept that much of it will be arbitrarily created based on someone's willingness to pay.

The only way I would consider such a listing was if it created direct value for my website or blog. Will it provide a link from a high authority website? Does the listing give me additional exposure I otherwise wouldn't have? It's getting harder and harder to take these things at face value but I guess that's marketing for you. The good, the bad, the ugly!

If you've ever had a similar experience online, let me know about it. Sharing your personal experience can help everyone avoid being taken advantage of in the Internet marketing niche.

9 comments :

Jef Menguin said...

Mine is different. Three times, I have received awards from a so-called international biographical society. The first time, I was elected one of the 100 professionals in the world, then on 100 intellectuals in the world, and then recently the on 100 educators of the world.

I will pay 300 to 500 pounds to get the certificate.

They can do this because they have a market. These are those people who buy prestige and title.

In the Philippines, there are also those who are given awards for being the best blogs of the years. Typically, awards are given to those who are actively involved in the organization. I do not join.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Anny said...

I found useful information here.affiliate marketing is an enormous way to start in making money online. Seventh among the affiliate marketing Tools for success, Continue to educate yourself on how to improve your website and soon you’ll find yourself successful in affiliate marketing.

AP said...

Interesting Post :)

Unknown said...

I've been blogging about the Vermont HVAC business for years. There is a local blog thats very well known among contractors and customers in the area that refused to post a particularly good post I had about the increased after hours calls in february for furnace repairs. Anywys, I think sometimes you can only break into certain circles if you know someone. On a broader sense, I believe that applies to getting jobs today as well.

Richard Miles said...

Years ago when I was first selling software products, people were amazed, amused, and upset to learn that the weekly "Top 10" bestseller list at Egghead was something I paid money to be on.

This was back when Egghead had about 25% of the consumer software market. You walked into your local Egghead store, and there by the cash register, was "this week's" Top 10 list. I think it was $2,000 a week, but I don't remember exactly. And of course, being on the list ensured, well, being on the list.

More stories like this on my site at www.kickstartgrowth.com

Richard

Unknown said...

Nice facts ! but You Will Monetize All That Juicy Traffic You Will Get With a good Amazing Product.!


get traffic 3.0

Article Marketing Robot said...

Nice share Mr.Fleischner. Experience is the best teacher..

Something to share with other readers here :-)

photographyusa said...

i get valuable information hear, rally very use full blog and may be more information available hare.
Online Marketing service are most important of part of quike sale any service or product.

thanks
iApus Technology

internet product review said...

Really good advice. Great post. Well spoken. Thanks.

Post a Comment

Please note that we reject all posts that clearly are leaving a comment simply to acquire a back link. Only comment if you have something of value to share with other readers.

Thanks!




Copyright 2018. The Marketing Blog.