Saturday, March 03, 2007
I thought I know my stuff but have admit that I didn't score 100. Just goes to show, as much as you think you know there's always more to learn... Enjoy!
1. Your website sells Green Widgets - what is the best Title tag for your main page?
|a.||Get Green Widgets, Buy Green Widgets, Green Widgets, Green Widget|
|b.||We have Cheap Green Widgets with great prices and selection|
|c.||Buy Green Widgets | Discount Widgets|
|d.||Home | Greenwidgets.com|
2. Your site map has more than 100 links to your pages. Do you:
|a.||Create a hierarchy of links, and split up the site map into multiple pages.|
|b.||Keep adding new links, no problem.|
|c.||Add a second page to your site map and add new links to that.|
|d.||Stop adding links to your site map completely.|
3. How many words should you consider writing in a page of pure content (such as an article, a blog post or a product review)?
4. What is the optimum keyword density you should aim for?
|b.||Keep the content normal, but stuff the page with hidden text in alt tags, meta tags and "white-on-white" text to maximize keyword density.|
|c.||As much as possible, while keeping the content human-readable.|
|d.||Forget keyword density - search engines pay very little attention to it any more. Just focus on writing content that people will want to link to.|
5. What should you put inside meta tags?
|a.||Put your full keyword list in the meta keywords tag, and put your most important keywords in the meta description tag.|
|b.||Ignore the meta tags - search engines don't use them.|
|c.||Write a short description of your website in the meta description tag, and put your most important keywords in the meta keywords tag.|
|d.||Put your most important keywords in the meta keywords tag and don't use a meta description tag.|
6. How should you use images on your site?
|a.||Use the alt tag to accurately describe the each image, and include descriptive content around each image.|
|b.||Put your most important keyword in an alt tags followed by the word "graphic".|
|c.||Just use them wherever it is necessary from an aesthetic perspective, without regard for alt tags because they aren't really that important.|
|d.||Use alt tags to "hide" your full keyword list so you can increase your page's keyword density.|
7. Which style tag is preferred by the W3C for emphasizing important text? replace "[" with "<"
8. What types of websites are most trusted by search engines (authority sites)?
|a.||High PR websites|
|b.||.edu and .gov websites|
|c.||Low PR websites with lots of backlinks|
|d.||Medium to High PR websites with lots of backlinks from other high ranking websites|
|e.||Both b and d|
9. Which of these sites will provide the most valuable link?
|a.||A PR 7 website|
|b.||A PR 5 site closely related to your niche with strong backlinks from .edu and .gov (trusted) domains|
|c.||A website with hundreds of pages of duplicate content that is banned in the search engines|
|d.||A PR 6 website loosely related to your niche but with few 'trusted' backlinks|
10. Suppose that you were offered the following 4 choices as a link - which one would be the most valuable?
|a.||An optimized contextual link (a link as part of a page's content with proper anchor text) from a closely related PR 5 site's main page content|
|b.||A link on the links page of an unrelated PR 7 site - shared with 50 other links (and their two line descriptions)|
|c.||A link on the links page of closely related PR 6 site - shared with 20 other links|
|d.||A PR 6 link from a directory page with 10 other links only|
11. If you were building links for greenwidgets.com, what would be your strategy in choosing anchor text?
|a.||Buy high PR links from closely related sites that offer traffic as well as link wealth|
|b.||Use organic marketing tactics to encourage natural link growth using your site's content|
|c.||Submit articles to article directories and link to your site's inner pages in those articles to build 'deep' links|
|d.||All of the above|
12. Which of these four is the most important in assessing a link?
|a.||The anchor text|
|b.||The PR of the page you're getting the links from|
|c.||The number of outgoing links on the link page|
|d.||The title tag of the link page|
13. How many links should you get for your site in the first 6 months (on average)?
|a.||50-70 links a month|
|b.||100+ links a month|
|c.||As many quality links as you can|
|d.||25-40 a month|
14. What does PageRank technically measure?
|a.||The linking power carried by one particular link|
|b.||How many external, inbound links point to a particular page|
|c.||The number and quality of the links pointing to a particular page|
|d.||Your ranking position in the search engines|
15. What does the term "Sandbox" describe in reference to Google's SERPs?
|a.||The ranking factors affecting all new websites that are targeting highly competitive keywords before targeting less competitive keywords|
|b.||Google's system for penalizing sites exhibiting an overly-optimizing back-link structure|
|c.||Google's penalty for building too many links too quickly|
|d.||Google's play area for their staff during lunch break|
16. What is the best way for websites with very little content (like ecommerce stores) rank highly for competitive product terms?
|a.||They have a lot of natural links (one-way, contextual) with optimal anchor text from a wide variety of websites|
|b.||Their pages are stuffed with keywords and "white text"|
|c.||They use content-generating software to spam the search engines and attain false rankings|
|d.||They pay a lot of money to get high PR links|
17. Which of these will NOT get your site penalized in Google?
|a.||Thousands of automatically-generated pages built only for the search engines|
|b.||Building quality links at a steady pace|
|c.||Scraping (stealing) content from other websites|
|d.||Getting links from websites that Google considers to be from a 'bad' link neighborhood|
18. Which of these five methods will not give you an accurate estimate of the search demand in a niche?
|a.||Overture search term figures|
19. When designing the site structure of a website, which of the following statements is NOT a good idea?
|a.||Make a site map that points to each page on the site|
|b.||Attempt to make all pages accessible from the home page by at most 3 clicks|
|c.||Link all of your inner pages to all of your other websites|
|d.||Create a category structure that goes from broad to narrow|
20. Which is the best method of getting traffic to your site?
|b.||Pay for high PR links so that you get a PR yourself, which will help boost your own search engine rankings|
|c.||Submit your website to search engines and popular directories, and focus on creating content|
|d.||Create quality content that people in your niche would want to link to, and then promote that content through article syndication, blogs and forums|
|e.||All of the above|
Ok, now that you've answered all the 20 questions, compare your answers to the answer sheet below. This was a fairly basic quiz, so if you get less than 10 right, you should seriously consider reviewing the material in this newsletter. However, if you got more than 15 right, congratulations - you've got the basics right. Make sure that you apply these principles to your websites as well, otherwise you wont see good rankings.