Subscribe via: ( Email / RSS )

Saturday, December 11, 2010




This morning I was sifting emails and realized that I've been receiving a large number of emails that I probably should have unsubscribed from by now. You know which emails I'm talking about - the ones that don't annoy you enough to unsubscribe from but at the same time provide absolutely no value.

I also noticed that a number of the emails are actually somewhat difficult to unsubscribe from. Not only is this boarding on violating CAN SPAM legislation from years ago, but is simply a nuisance. My first thought as a Marketer was to create a master list of companies that one can receive email from and then rate how frequently emails are sent (daily, weekly, etc.) and how valuable they truly are. Now that would be a long list!

For example, companies like Vista Print send TONS of emails once you buy something from them. Is this really necessary? I guess they're making money from it all but the good news is that it's relatively easy to unsubscribe. Have you had an annoying experience with email? I bet you have. We've all experienced messaging that was either excessive or just not useful.

National Email Unsubscribe Day January 3, 2011
 
Instead of building a list I thought it might be even better for Marketers and Consumers to do a little house cleaning, I mean email purging. Personally, if someone is receiving my emails and just deleting them, I'd rather they not be on my list form a marketing perspective. Having a clean email list is great for us because it allows us to better understand our true reach and effectiveness with marketing campaigns.

From the consumer side, why fill up server after server with useless junk. Think about how much more productive we'd be if we didn't have to wade through hundreds of unwanted emails each week.

Instead of just talking about it, I really want to do something about it... but I need your help.

I'm declaring January 3rd and National Email Cleanup Day. That's right.. in the beginning of the new year, I'm picking a day for all the world to unsubscribe from unwanted emails, delete emails that have been lying in your Inbox or saved folders for more and a few months, and make a statement about careless marketing tactics. Essentially I'm asking you to help me cleaning up our virtual world. Fewer emails means less computing power needed, less waste, less pollution, and more free time. Will you help me spread the word?

Can we spread this message throughout the world? I think we can. Send a link to this post to 3 of your friends or simply send them a message about January 3rd. Facebook it, Tweet it, share it on your favorite social media site. Let's see how we can change the world with just a few emails :), posts, and shares!


8 comments :

Anonymous said...

...and I just subscribed.

In all seriousness though. I set up a email account just for my subscriptions. This way I go through them when I have time and I chose the ones I am most interested in.

Søgemaskineoptimering said...

I have allready started to spread this article to all of them i know as i agree with you 110%.

Ech0 said...

Couldn't agree more - i recently bought an ebook which precipitated at least 2 emails a day from the supplier. Not only have i unsuscribed from his list but i'm struggling to find the inclination to read the book as well!

Count me in, retweeting immediately.!

web marketing melbourne said...

This is quite comprehensive, am a developer getting into web design and SEO and am older generation so am not really “into” the web 2 yet… although I should be
cheers for this

Sherman Unkefer said...

Great idea and I'll definitely help spread the word. I do have one question though; how do you stop spam from lists that send you more and more mail upon unsubscribing?

Garry Fisher said...

I do this myself every month now there was a time I just let the mail stack up but a cluttered mailbox leads to a cluttered mind, so I would love to spread the word.

Daniel Vidal said...

Great initiative!

I have included it in my blog (which covers thousands of "Days of" worlwide): www.himajina.com

The specific post is:
http://himajina.blogspot.com/2011/01/national-email-unsubscribe-day.html

A link to this post has been included.

Best regards,
Daniel

peter: small business internet marketing said...

ah no...

i missed it!

guess if i was subscribed i would ave gotten it, though....:)

but yes - the ole inbox gets messy from time to time - and then u just have to clean up, or get swamped.

like they said on oprah: i you don;t ue it, throw it out !

it's as simple as that

just my 0.02c

Post a Comment

Please note that we reject all posts that clearly are leaving a comment simply to acquire a back link. Only comment if you have something of value to share with other readers.

Thanks!




Copyright 2018. The Marketing Blog.