Thursday, December 12, 2013
Creating a unique and compelling content marketing campaign is becoming increasingly important for modern brands that hope to distinguish themselves. With social media, high-speed Internet and mobile devices reaching a larger audience all the time, we’re witnessing a paradigm shift in the way that products and services are marketed.
Below are 15 marketing statistics from the past year. Some might surprise you, while others might be familiar from previous years
1. The outsourcing of content marketing is becoming increasingly common: 62% of companies now take part in the practice, which represents a 7% increase from last year.
2. The amount of money spent on online content marketing accounts for more than one quarter of the average marketing budget.
3. 72% of shoppers now trust reviews posted online at least as much as they trust personal recommendations from friends and family.
4. It’s now estimated that about 44% of online shoppers use a search engine to begin the shopping process.
5. When it comes to the frequency of posting, marketers see diminishing returns: a brand that posts twice per day receives only 57% as many Likes as it would have if they posted only once per day.
6. It is estimated that by the year 2016, more than half of all the money spent in the retail sector will have been influenced by the web in one way or another.
7. Over the course of the average week, fewer than 0.5% of Facebook users will actively engage with their favorite brands. This handily confirms how important it is for brands to provide the right kinds of content to their audience.
8. 20% of Facebook users have reported purchasing a product or service after seeing an ad or comment about it on the site. Facebook’s targeted ads have gotten a lot of hate, but their success rate continues to climb.
9. The average company only responds to about 30% of feedback provided by fans using social media. This is more than a little bit dispiriting, considering that social media is meant to be a conversation rather than a one-way street.
10. 91% of adult Internet users report using social media websites on a regular basis. In other words, it’s become a nearly inextricable part of our culture.
11. Blogs provide the average brand’s website with 97% more indexed links and a stunning 434% more indexed pages. If you don’t have a blog yet, now is the time.
12. Smartphones now account for more and more online shopping: 64% of smartphone owners now use mobile devices to make purchases online.
13. In an average month, YouTube users watch a total of about three billion hours of video. This confirms how useful it can be for brands to turn their Channels into a destination.
14. Of all smartphone users, 73% report using apps at least once per day to access their favorite social media sites.
15. Of all the accounts on social media websites, approximately 40% of them are spam.
Special thanks to Alicia Lawrence for today's guest post. Alicia is a content coordinator for an SEO and web development company and blogs in her free time at MarCom Land. Her work has been published by the Association for Business Communication, Yahoo! Small Business, and Spin Sucks.