Subscribe via: ( Email / RSS )

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Google Preview. Are You Kidding?

Sunday, November 14, 2010



I'm as much about innovation as the next guy, but really?  Last week's update by Google which introduced a preview feature on search result pages is, in my opinion, not very useful.  I mean, have we gotten that lazy that we can't even click-through on a search result listing?

This year Google has done a lot to improve their user interface and enhance the user experience.  In fact, I feel as though Google has made more visible changes this year than in prior years.  However, just because they make a change doesn't mean that the user experience is that much more enhanced.  Personally I don't feel that the preview feature adds much if anything to my search experience.

The question that many of my SEO clients are now asking me is, "Can this negatively impact my traffic?"  My answer is the standard response I give for most search engine optimization questions related to any Google update... "it depends."  Okay, you're probably thinking 'total cop out'  but the truth is that enhanced features impact such a small percentage of user behavior that if you're getting more than 5 browsers to your site in a month, you shouldn't worry.

The best way to combat any search engine change is with a comprehensive online approach.  Are you engaged in universal search for your business (video, press releases, social media)?  Are you taking the time to do the necessary keyword research that will help you find the best keywords to improve your website rankings for?  Are you following search engine optimization best practices?  If you are doing all those things then you're on the right path.

Responding to these changes on a whim is never a good idea.  Stay focused on applying SEO in a meaningful way.  It's always good to stay informed about what search engines like Google are doing but you don't need to react.  Rather, take a wait and see type of approach.  It will keep you calm and potentially save you a lot of heartache down the road.

13 comments :

Justin Freid said...

I'm in agreement with you here Michael. I am not to impressed with this upgrade. From a paid search perspective, when searchers open up the 'preview' it blocks many of the ads that appear on the right hand side of SERPs.

I've been keeping an eye on CTR over the past week and have seen a small decrease across the board because of this.

Heather said...

I feel a bit better after reading your post. This is one of those features I really don't like for a couple of reasons. First we don't know how often they will update the thumbnail and second it can potentially reduce conversions. If you run on site specials there's no way to get that message through with such a tiny snippet.
Likewise our CTR is down a bit this week.

Jef Menguin said...

I think the innovation is okay. It intends to enhanced the users experience. Users are really after an answer, not on keywords.

Good morning.

Dan at VetMatrix said...

I think the biggest issue we have to wrestle with is "Is this problematic for everyone, or just problematic for marketers?"

There are changes Google makes that does make the end user happier. For example, as much as some of us were stung by the Google affiliate slap some years back, it saved AdWords from being cluttered with direct linking garbage.

As for the "preview" update, it might help users screen out spammy sites and sites with errors before looking. Plus, if have a specific site you forgot the URL for and want to quickly verify, you can do it quicker with this feature.

--Dan

Joel Gray said...

I have seen this change and there are instances that I find it annoying, or I was just caught unprepared with the preview popping up the screen. But this helps viewers sort which sites are interesting to look at.

Sophie Morris said...

I agree. I am often puzzled about the innovations that Google launches. It also launched Google instants recently, where search results start to appear as the user is typing their search query.
I think they said this would save users about a second for each search.
Are we really so time-poor that we need to save 1 second on each search query we run?
It seemed an odd use of resource, when Facebook is pushing out more substantial innovations.

jfbmarketing said...

The key statement you brought up have we gotten this lazy, l have reviewed this feature and l strongly feel it has eliminated our ability to concentrate and search by clicking instead of doing our own research.

with Justin statement regarding a drop on his CTR, l have not really notice much of a decrease, but then again l have not paid close attention to his findings.

Thanks for sharing this article with us all Michael.

All the Best

Jack Arkansas Web Design said...

I'm actually going to disagree with you, Michael. I think the Google Preview feature is actually helpful. You can get a sense for if a site is a spammy site or a useful site just by Previewing it, without having to click through to it. Additionally, nothing that Google roles out hasn't already been extensively tested. They always test on a limited basis before rolling something out full scale. So they had to have known that their users would like it more often than not. They probably know this by the fact that they see people using the Preview function a lot.

Online Marketing said...

For me I love the Google preview, when I'm trying to search for a website I'm to check how well the website designed and content is because it reflects the services they offer. If it's high quality it means it's a big company so for Online Marketing it affect a lot.

Peter K. said...

I don't mind those previews, really. But I came to find out that they tend to work better with Google's Chrome browser... My IT mates say that some bugs accrue when you use Microsoft's browser, and I wonder: Since there is this silent war between Google and MS, aren't those previews yet another method of fighting between those two gigants?

am:pm graphics said...

Hi, interesting read..I've been thinking more or less the same thing, what's the point in some of these features?! I just presume people would click through quickly and check out sites for themselves...? Thanks for the blog.

Eddie said...

Agreed... Has it seemed like Google is making a bunch of little tweaks that are supposed to save milliseconds lately? It's like a cat playing the mouse because they can.

Earn Money Through Internet said...

I am going to have to disagree with you on this just because I think it is nice to have a glimpse of the page you are about to view before you actually view it so you can skim through results faster.

Post a Comment

Please note that we reject all posts that clearly are leaving a comment simply to acquire a back link. Only comment if you have something of value to share with other readers.

Thanks!




Copyright 2018. The Marketing Blog.