Subscribe via: ( Email / RSS )

Friday, May 20, 2011





Being in marketing means you need to be an "expert" in all things marketing-related. In fact, I like to pride myself on being able to have intelligent conversations when thrown into marketing circles. However, there is one area that has always terrified me and that is mobile marketing. Personally I've been able to dodge the mobile marketing topic for some time but recently was asked to make a mobile marketing buy.  As luck would have it, I got "the call" just a day later.

The call? Well, having a popular marketing blog, websites, etc., I seem to get at least a dozen emails and calls each week from people who want me to check out their products, do a write up, or help them shape their ideas. Last week, someone contacted me from YepText about Mobile Marketing. Personally, I never heard of the company but the topic was one I knew I'd have to face sooner or later - Text Messaging/Mobile Marketing.

I Was Blown Away

My understanding of texting has been fairly limited. Until now the majority of texting I've personally engaged in was for mundane tasks like asking my wife if I needed to pick up milk on my way home. I've also been approached by agencies who wanted to sell me "mobile marketing" but never really understood what that meant. Once I saw the Yep Texting platform, my understanding of mobile marketing changed forever. Not only did it impress me as an online texting application, but more importantly, it helped me to see how texting could be used as a marketing tool.

Check this out. If you are a business and want to improve traffic to your website or retail establishment, you can encourage visitors to take advantage of special offers by texting a specific code. This is not about pushing out millions of text message to people you don't know or individuals who never opted in. This model turns everything on its head.

How It Works
You go to a text messaging marketing site like yeptext.com. You register for an account and determine how many text messages you're likely to manage in a given timefream. The next step is simple. You provide a code and a number for people to text on their phone to receive special offers. An example would be a hamburger joint who puts in their ad, "text HAMBURGER to 123456". When the consumer sends the text they receive a special offer... easy as pie.


What I love about this approach is that it puts the control in the consumer's hands and rewards them for taking an action. More importantly, its a great way to build your list of highly qualified prospects. If your know anything about marketing you know how valuable your own list can be. Well, this is the future of list building and right now it's dirt cheap.

Next Steps
To stay on top of your marketing game, you are going to need to learn about Mobile Marketing. Start by visiting Yeptext and check out their site. In addition to the informational video, you'll find information that shows you how the approach works and I guarantee it will open your eyes to a whole new way of marketing.

If you'd like to know more about Mobile marketing let me know. Maybe I can put together a webinar with the YepText Co-founder. At the very least I can ask him to send us a text :)

16 comments :

MicroSourcing said...

The great thing with mobile marketing is that it is more immediate than email marketing. With email marketing, there's a chance that your email will go straight to the spam folder. Mobile marketing also reaches potential consumers who don't always have access to the Internet.

Aly said...

Hi Michael - First of all, thanks for writing. I like to think of mobile marketing as an evolution of "text update" marketing (there is probably a real term for this but it's early and I'm blanking out). I know sports teams did this a lot - "Text 1234 for updates on the Houston Astros", that sort of thing.

Mobile marketing takes this idea and sort of turns it around. It doesn't cost the subsriber, in fact using your example it saves them money! Companies using mobile marketing will acquire qualified leads - only people that are actually interested in the company/promotion are going to text in. Anyways, you got me thinking so I just thought I'd share!

InternetMarketing said...

Indeed mobile marketing is a new concept for most of the markets but it has reached a great potential with the exploded growth of smartphones

Joko Susilo said...

I've visited yeptext.com and could I ask, is it could be used in all countries around the world, including my country Indonesia?

affiliate attribution said...

Mobile Marketing is better compared to email marketing. Because, email marketing does contain some virus like thing. And now-a-days there is an increase in mobile usage. So, its better to try mobile marketing.

internet marketing affiliate said...

Mobile marketing is one type of marketing that is pushed through by many because of its convenience and ease that it brought to business partners. I personally love this marketing because it will help you spend less money and effort.

Video Production Sydney said...

Hi Michael...thanks for this great content this is really very informative and useful!

Unknown said...

Mobile marketing is a direct, targeted approach to connecting with limitless clients. It is more than just about raking in more profits; it's about literally getting up close and personal (direct) with clients. Mobile marketing is definitely the next wave of marketing businesses and products online. Just think of all those sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google who have gone mobile already. If you don't catch up in the race, you will be left behind.
online sales

Internet Marketing said...

Mobile Marketing is relatively inexpensive and can bring some good results. For those of you who are new to Mobile Marketing - you can start by learning little bit about QR Codes.

http://fixtro.com/blog/what-are-qr-codes/

Andrés Gómez said...

Very interesting! Too bad Mobile Marketing is nos to so easy and straight forward in other Markets, like Latin America. Actually, it can be complicated and expensive. Hope one day it comes to this.

Thanks for the post

VICBrand.com said...

Thanks for share!

Mobile Marketing Agency said...

Mobile marketing gives the user some advantages of lower cost, customization, easy tracking and so on, thereby reducing manpower and yet giving the entrepreneur better business benefits and profits. but on the other hand they usually comes with a small screen and no mouse which makes navigation on a mobile phone difficult for the user, even if it has a touchscreen. In such a case, most ads may go untouched, as the user may find it too tedious to look in detail through each one of them. Thanks a lot.

Mark said...

I've been interested in mobile marketing for while. I'm yet to find a good platform in Australia unfortunately.
I think the benefits of it are excellent so easy to track results and measure your ROI and open rates for texts are usually almost 100%

Bulk SMS in Ahmedabad said...

This is quick and fast method for marketing a product amongst masses. There are many companies providing service but always choose the one which provide effective results.

SEO Company Jaipur said...

In such a case, most ads may go untouched, as the user may find it too tedious to look in detail through each one of them. Thanks a lot.

Daytona mobile marketing said...

Mobile marketing has several elements. Text Message campaigns are the most effective element of mobile marketing. Businesses can benefit from this powerful tool.

Daytona mobile marketing

Post a Comment

Please note that we reject all posts that clearly are leaving a comment simply to acquire a back link. Only comment if you have something of value to share with other readers.

Thanks!




Copyright 2018. The Marketing Blog.